On behalf of the Bay Islands Conservation Association and the ACROPORA Roatan Eco Trail, Vida para la Isla, 20K 10K 6K and 2K race committee, we would like to introduce ourselves; BICA is an environmental NGO that has been working in the Bay Islands since the 90s for the conservation of our natural resources. We are comanagers of the terrestrial and marine protected areas on the three islands, on the island of Roatan, the Port Royal National Park and the Bay Islands National Marine Park, respectively.
In 2017, our first race, had more than 200 runners both from the island and the mainland. The race started at the Megaplaza Mall in the early morning and ended at Palmetto Bay Plantation on the beach, where we held the award ceremonies, the final party, with the participation of local artisans. Through the race we were celebrating World Oceans Day and promoted the importance of protecting our coastal marine ecosystems.
For 2018, we are focusing our message on the reduction of single-use plastics; which is a big problem for our oceans and rivers:
- We will be promoting a municipal ordinance that prohibits plastic bags and plastic straws.
- Throughout the race, you will find information signs made from reusable materials that sensitize runners and walkers on the importance of our different ecosystems (wetlands, reefs and forests).
- Before, during, and after the race, there will be clean ups in the nearby communities.
- The event will avoid the use of plastic by using paper cups at water stops, and each runners kit will contain a T-Shirt of the event, a reusable water bottle, a bamboo straw, stickers, and informative materials.
- The promotion of media for the race will incorporate the message of reduction of single-use plastics.
The 2nd ACROPORA Roatan Eco Trail 2K, 5K, 10K, 20K Vida para la Isla race to promote a decrease in single-use plastics will take place on August 18, 2018. The event will begin at 8:00 am, starting and ending at Palmetto Bay Plantation.